I was knee-deep in stress, juggling online classes and assignments when my old laptop decided to give up on me.
So my friend advised me to check out orgs that offer free laptops for online classes.
I did some research and got myself one through these organizations.
In this article, I’ll walk you through how to get your hands on a free laptop for Online Classes.
What is the Free Laptop for Online Classes Offer?
The Free Laptop for Online Classes offer is one that provides eligible students with a laptop at no cost, which they can use for their online educational needs.
If you want an Apple laptop instead, check out this post on how to get Free Macbook for Students.
Top 5 Orgs Providing Free Laptop for Online Classes
These are the top 5 organizations providing Free Laptop for Online Classes:
1. The On It Foundation
This organization provides free laptops for online classes to students enrolled in public K 12 education in the U.S., including those who qualify for free or reduced lunch programs through their Jump On It program.
They also serve people who don’t qualify via their Jump On It! Programme, although a discount may apply.
If you’re not a student but still need a laptop, don’t worry—I’ve got you covered. Check out my article on how to get a Free Government Laptop.
2. PCs for People
PCs for People offer free laptops and low cost internet to eligible recipients, including those below the 200% poverty level or enrolled in income based government assistance programs.
Computers provided by PCs for People come with licensed copies of Windows 10.
3. With Causes
With Causes is a nonprofit organization that provides laptops, computers, and other devices to individuals in need to enable them to access online classes and other needs.
They review each application case by case to determine assistance eligibility; hence, it takes a little while to get a response from them after completing the application.
4. Everyone On
Everyone On helps low income individuals and families access complimentary or low cost laptops and affordable internet service for online classes through partnerships with various businesses and ISPs.
Eligibility requirements may vary based on the specific programs they offer.
Check out this post to learn how to get a Everyone on Free Laptop.
5. National Cristina Foundation
This foundation promotes technology reuse by collecting used tech devices from businesses and redistributing them to communities and organizations in need.
They offer these reusable laptops for free to eligible applicants to help them participate in online classes, among their other tech needs.
ACP also provides them at no cost, check out this post on ACP Free Laptop to learn more.
How to Get a Free Laptop for Online Classes
Follow these steps to get a Free Laptop for Online classes:
1. How to Apply through the On It Foundation
Follow these steps to get a Free Laptop for Online classes from the On It Foundation:
- Visit The On It Foundation’s official website.
- Navigate to the “Apply” or “Get a Free Computer” section.
- Review the eligibility requirements, often including enrollment in public K 12 education and qualification for free or reduced lunch programs.
- Follow the application instructions provided on their website.
- Provide the required information and documentation, such as proof of enrollment and income status.
- Submit your Free Government Laptops Application Form for review.
- Await a response from The On It Foundation regarding your application status.
- If approved, follow their guidance on receiving your free laptop.
2. How to Apply through PCs for People
Follow these steps to get Free Laptop for Online classes from PCs for People:
- Visit the PCs for People official website.
- Look for eligibility criteria on their website, which include being below the 200% poverty level or participating in income-based government assistance programs.
- Confirm your eligibility by reviewing the requirements for the specific program you qualify for.
- Submit an online application through their website.
- Provide the necessary documentation to prove your eligibility.
- Once approved, you can shop for a free or low-cost computer from their website or physical stores.
- Show a photo ID and proof of eligibility when picking up your computer.
3. How to Apply through With Causes
Follow these steps to get Free Laptop for Online classes from With Causes:
- Visit the official With Causes website.
- Navigate to “Ask for Help.”
- Review their application process and requirements.
- Fill out the online application form.
- Provide a detailed explanation of your situation and needs in your application.
- Include your contact information.
- Submit your application for review.
- Wait for a response from With Causes regarding your application status.
If you’re a student on a tight budget, discover how the Free Hotspot for Students initiative can keep you connected without the extra costs.
4. How to Apply through Everyone On
Follow these steps to get Free Laptop for Online classes from Everyone On:
- Visit the Everyone On official website.
- Explore the various programs and partnerships they offer for free laptops.
- Check eligibility requirements for these programs.
- Follow the application instructions provided on their website.
- Submit your application along with any required documentation.
- Await a response from Everyone On regarding your application status.
5. How to Apply through National Cristina Foundation
Follow these steps to get Free Laptop for Online classes from National Cristina Foundation:
- Visit the National Cristina Foundation website or contact them to inquire about local distribution programs.
- Check if they work with organizations or schools in your area.
- Contact the local organizations or schools partnered with the foundation to inquire about available technology assistance programs.
- Follow the application process outlined by the partnering organization.
- Submit your application and await a response from the partnering organization regarding your application status and how to pick up your free laptop.
These are the Eligibility Criteria for getting the Free Laptop for Online Classes:
- You must be below or at the 135% federal poverty guideline
- You or a member of your household must be a participant in any qualifying government assistance program.
- You must be enrolled in specific educational programs, such as K 12 schools, colleges, or universities.
These are the documents required for getting the Free Laptop for Online classes:
- Acceptance letter from your educational institution.
- Class schedule or registration confirmation.
- Student ID card.
- Pay stubs or income statements.
- Tax returns
- Letters or statements from government assistance programs like Medicaid, SNAP, or housing assistance.
- Transcripts or academic records.
- Driver’s license.
- State issued ID card.
- Utility bill.
- Completed application form provided by the organization or institution.
- Parental or guardian consent forms for applicants under 18 years old.
- An essay or statement explaining why you need a free laptop and how it will benefit your education.
You can get one through Dell’s no cost programs, check this post to discover How to Get a Free Computer from Dell.
Top 5 Free Laptops Offered for Online Classes
These are the top 5 Free Laptop Offered for Online classes:
1. Acer Chromebook Spin 713
The Acer Chromebook Spin 713 is a standout choice for online learning with its 13.5 inch high resolution display (2256 x 1504). This Chromebook is a 2 in 1, allowing you to use it as a traditional laptop or in tablet mode for flexibility.
It’s powered by an Intel Core i5 10210U processor, which provides snappy performance, especially when multitasking with 8 GB of RAM. The 128 GB SSD offers fast storage and quick boot times.
With a commendable 10 hour battery life, you can comfortably use it for a full day of classes. Weighing 1.37 kg, it’s lightweight and portable, making it an excellent companion for students.
2. HP Envy 13 (2021)
The HP Envy 13 is an elegant and powerful laptop featuring a 13.3 inch Full HD display (1920 x 1080). Its Intel Core i7 1165G7 processor, 16 GB of RAM, and 512 GB SSD make it a performance beast, capable of handling demanding tasks effortlessly.
With an impressive 11 hour battery life, it easily lasts through a day of classes. Weighing 1.3 kg, it’s lightweight and sleek, making it perfect for students who desire style and performance.
3. Google Pixelbook Go
The Google Pixelbook Go is a highly portable laptop weighing just 1.06 kg. It boasts a 13.3 inch Full HD display (1920 x 1080) and runs on an Intel Core i5 8200Y processor with 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD.
What sets it apart is its exceptional 12 hour battery life, which ensures you stay productive throughout the day. Its lightweight and slim design makes it ideal for students on the move.
Check out this post to learn how to get a Free Laptop from Google.
4. Acer Swift 3 (2020)
The Acer Swift 3 offers a spacious 14 inch Full HD display (1920 x 1080), providing ample screen real estate for multitasking. It has an AMD Ryzen 7 4700U processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a roomy 512 GB SSD for rapid performance and storage.
The laptop impresses with an 11.5 hour battery life, ensuring you won’t be tethered to a power outlet. Weighing 1.2 kg, it’s lightweight and portable, suitable for students on the go.
5. Apple MacBook Air (M1 2020)
The Apple MacBook Air with the M1 chip features a stunning 13.3 inch Retina display (2560 x 1600) and delivers exceptional performance.
Powered by the Apple M1 chip, 8 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD, it offers snappy responsiveness and impressive multitasking capabilities.
Follow the steps in this post to apply for a Free Laptop from Apple.
Free Laptops for Online Classes Comparison Table
This table compares the Free Laptops for Online Classes:
|Laptop Model||Display Size||Resolution||Processor||RAM||Storage||Battery Life||Battery Capacity||Weight|
|Acer Chromebook Spin 713||13.5 inches||2256 x 1504||Intel Core i5-10210U||8 GB||128 GB SSD||10 hours||48 Wh||1.37 kg|
|HP Envy 13 (2021)||13.3 inches||1920 x 1080||Intel Core i7 1165G7||16 GB||512 GB SSD||11 hours||51 Wh||1.3 kg|
|Google Pixelbook Go||13.3 inches||1920 x 1080||Intel Core i5-8200Y||8 GB||128 GB SSD||12 hours||47 Wh||1.06 kg|
|Acer Swift 3 (2020)||14 inches||1920 x 1080||AMD Ryzen 7 4700U||8 GB||512 GB SSD||11.5 hours||48 Wh||1.2 kg|
|Apple MacBook Air (M1)||13.3 inches||2560 x 1600||Apple M1 chip||8 GB||256 GB SSD||15 hours||49.9 Wh||1.29 kg|
How to Choose the Best Free Laptop for Online Classes
Follow these steps to choose the best Free Laptop for Online Classes:
- Identify your specific requirements, such as the programs or software you’ll need, the types of tasks you’ll be performing, and any specific technical requirements for your online classes.
- Determine whether you prefer a Windows, macOS, or Chrome OS laptop based on your familiarity and the software compatibility required for your courses.
- Review the laptop specifications, including the processor, RAM, storage capacity, and battery life.
- Consider the laptop’s display size and resolution. A larger screen and higher resolution can enhance your online learning experience.
- Look for a laptop with a long battery life, especially if you plan to attend extended online classes without access to a power source.
- Check the laptop’s connectivity options, including WiFi, Bluetooth, USB ports, and video outputs.
- Verify that the laptop is compatible with the software required for your online courses.
- Check the laptop’s warranty coverage and available customer support.
- While the laptop is free, consider any additional costs you might incur, such as accessories, software licenses, or extended warranties.
- Look for reviews and feedback from other students or users who have used the same laptop model for online classes.
If you need more ways to get a laptop, you might also want to check out how to get a Free Laptop with Medicaid.
What Is the Best Free Laptop to Use for Online School?
The best free laptop to use for online school among the five options mentioned is the Apple MacBook Air (M1 2020). Its exceptional performance, high resolution Retina display, and impressive 15 hour battery life stand out, making it an ideal choice for online classes and various educational tasks.
Benefits of Getting a Free Laptop for Online Classes
These are the Benefits of Getting a Free Laptop for Online Classes:
- It allows students to participate in virtual classrooms without any technological barriers.
- Laptops can be expensive, and receiving one for free can significantly reduce the financial burden on students and their families.
- A personal laptop provides students with the tools needed to engage in online learning effectively.
- With a laptop, students can study and complete coursework from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Using a laptop for online classes helps students develop essential digital skills that are increasingly important in today’s job market.
- Students can access course materials, textbooks, and resources online at any time, allowing for efficient time management and the ability to review content as needed.
- Many educational institutions and organizations that provide free laptops also offer technical support and warranty coverage.
FAQs on Free Laptop for Online Classes
These are the Frequently Asked Questions on Free Laptop for Online Classes:
Are there any obligations or restrictions attached to receiving a free laptop for Online Classes?
Depending on the program providing the free laptop, there may be obligations or restrictions, such as academic requirements, return policies, and usage restrictions.
Is there any cost associated with the laptop?
Free laptops for online classes come at no cost. However, maintenance, data plans, and the purchase of software and accessories are costs that come with having a laptop.
Can I choose the laptop model I want?
In most cases, you are not allowed to choose the laptop model that you want. However, as stated above, the models available will meet all your requirements for online classes.
Obtaining a free laptop for online classes can be a valuable resource for students, especially those facing financial constraints. It’s essential to be aware of any obligations or restrictions attached to receiving a free laptop, as they may vary by program.
Ultimately, while you may not be free to choose a specific laptop model outside the available models, the provided laptop will typically meet the basic computing needs for online classes.