As a senior myself, I know firsthand how important it is to stay connected with loved ones, especially during these uncertain times.
That’s why I was thrilled to learn about all the options for free Medicare cell phones for senior citizens.
In this article, I’ll share my top 5 picks for Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare programs, and how you can get one yourself.
Top 5 Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare
These are the Top 5 Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare:
1. Lively’s Jitterbug Flip2
The Lively Jitterbug Flip2 redefines how modern flip phones should work with its Alexa compatibility, dual camera design, and safety features.
It has a simple navigation menu, a large backlit keypad, and a built-in SOS emergency button and is compatible with hearing aids.
Check out this post to learn how to get a Jitterbug free phone.
2. Jitterbug Smart3
The Jitterbug Smart3 features a bright, clear 5.5-inch display, an intuitive design, and a powerful camera.
It has a simplified menu that makes it easy to use and medical alert capabilities which makes it very suitable for seniors.
3. Alcatel Go Flip 5
The Alcatel Go Flip 5 is designed with a clamshell design.
It features a small exterior screen displaying the date and time and a larger interior display that allows you to easily navigate the phone’s features, long battery life, call clarity, and app store compatibility.
It also comes with hearing aid compatibility.
Check out my detailed Alcatel Go Flip 5 review to learn more.
4. iPhone 7 Plus
The iPhone 7 Plus is an ideal option thanks to its built-in voice assistant, Siri which allows you to make calls, browse, and send messages, using your voice.
This voice command makes it easy to navigate and suitable for seniors.
Read more to know how to get a free government iphone 7 plus.
5. RAZ Memory Cell Phone
This phone is a great option for seniors especially those with an intellectual disability because of its simplified functions.
It features a picture-based contact list allowing users to easily receive and place calls to their loved ones without getting confused.
It also has a dedicated 911 button, a large touchscreen, and a very easy-to-understand menu.
Check out this post if you want to compare the Best Free Medicaid Phone with the above senior cell phone options.
Top 5 Programs to Get Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare
Below is a list of the Top 5 programs to get free phones for seniors on Medicare:
1. Lifeline Assistance Program
Lifeline is an assistance program that was developed by the federal government through the Federal Communications Commission and administered by the Universal Service Administrative.
They offer free phones to seniors and individuals who meet their eligibility criteria.
To benefit from the Lifeline assistance program, seniors have to meet the federal poverty guideline or be a beneficiary of other government assistance programs.
2. Connect America Fund
The Connect America Fund is a program founded by the federal government that subsidizes telecommunication companies in the United States enabling them to supply free or reduced-rate services to the seniors in society who meet the eligibility standard.
3. Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program
The Deaf and disabled telecommunications program is a program administered by the California public utility commission with a division that provides free phones for the disabled and seniors who meet the eligibility criteria.
They work with some service providers to provide free phones to deaf, disabled, and senior citizens to help them stay connected to their families and access emergency healthcare services easily.
4. Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program
The Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program is a federal government program that provides free or low-cost phones to qualifying seniors of the society providing them with easier access to their families and caregivers.
5. Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
The Affordable Connectivity program is an initiative of the federal government administered by the Federal Communications Commission.
The program offers free phones to low-income seniors and households. It also provides monthly service and device discounts per household.
To be a beneficiary of the Affordable Connectivity Program, you have to be a participant of any government-supported program such as Medicaid or Supplemental Security Income.
Check out the Best ACP Phone if you are interested in getting one from them.
Eligibility for Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare
To benefit from the Free phones for Seniors on Medicare, you have to meet the eligibility criteria below:
1. You must be a senior of age 60 and above or an individual with disabilities if you are below 60
2. You or a member of your household must be a beneficiary of any government assistance program like:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
3. You must have an annual income lower than or at 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Did you know AARP also offers free senior phones, to know more check this article on AARP Cell Phones for Seniors 2023.
Requirements for Receiving a Free Phone Through Medicare for Senior Citizens
To receive a Free phone through Medicare for Senior citizens, the following is required:
- A personal photo ID.
- Copy of your passport.
- Documentation of current address.
- Identification documentation that proves you are enrolled in any government assistance program.
- An official document that includes the applicant’s full legal name and income.
- Previous year’s state, federal, or Tribal tax return, paycheck stubs.
- Documentation of social security payments and medicare retirement coverage.
- A valid government, military, state, or Tribal ID, or driver’s license.
- Birth certificate.
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship.
- Permanent Resident Card.
How to Apply for Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare
There are two ways to apply for free phones for seniors on medicare
- Visit the nationalverifier.servicenowservices.com
- Select your state of residence.
- Click on the get started button
- Follow the on-screen prompts and complete the online application form.
- Provide all required documents
- Click on submit.
Apply via Mail (if You Are Applying Through Lifeline)
- Download and print out the Lifeline application form
- Fill out the application form correctly
- Send the filled-out application form attached with copies of the required documents to Lifeline Support Center, PO Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
How to Select the Best Free Cell Phone for Seniors on Medicare?
Consider the following to select the best free cell phone for seniors on Medicare:
- Visibility and hearing: considering the fact that a senior will be using the free phone from Medicare, choosing a phone with a large screen and sound audio is a good place to start. It is also advisable to go for phones that are compatible with hearing aids especially if the users have such health-related issues.
- Simplified menus: phones with simplified menus and highly intuitive interfaces are much easier for seniors to learn to use and navigate.
- Safety features: phones with features like SOS buttons. GPS and other medical alert functions are most suitable for seniors.
- Battery: this is another major point to consider when picking out a free phone for seniors on Medicare. Seniors will need a phone with long-lasting batteries as they sometimes forget to charge their phones.
Luckily, the phones listed above meet all these points to be considered when choosing a Free phone for Seniors on medicare.
Benefits of Getting Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare
The benefits of getting free phones for seniors on Medicare are:
- Easier access to emergency health care services
- Constant connection to their loved ones and caregivers
- The money that would have been used to get a phone can be used to purchase other necessary items.
FAQs on Free Phones for Seniors on Medicare
These are the most frequently asked questions on free cell phones for seniors on Medicare:
Can You Get a Free Phone with Medicare if You Are a Senior Citizen?
You can get a free phone with Medicare as a senior citizen if you meet the eligibility criteria which include having a household or personal income rate that is lower than or at 135% of the federal poverty guideline or being a beneficiary of any government assistance program.
Seniors on Medicare who are looking for a free government phone must meet income-based eligibility according to the Federal Poverty standards. They can also qualify if they are already benefiting from any federal government assistance. If they also qualify for Lifeline, they can easily apply for free cell phones for seniors on Medicare through any affiliating wireless providers to the Lifeline assistance program.