A friend of mine, who is a veteran, recently told me about a program that’s offering free tablets for veterans.
Now, I know first-hand the challenges that veterans face when transitioning back to civilian life, which is why I was so thrilled to hear about free tablet programs from him.
My friend got his tablet a few months back from one of the Free Tablet for Veterans programs and it has helped him tremendously.
What is the Free Tablet for Veterans program?
The Free Tablet for Veterans program is a collaboration between the Department of Veterans Affairs and top service providers, offering qualifying veterans with cellular-enabled tablets to access telehealth services.
The program aids over 50,000 veterans, allowing them to virtually connect to VA health care services.
Learn more about a similar initiative in my Free iPhone for Veterans guide, which explains how veterans can access communication resources.
Free Tablet for Veterans: Top 5 Programs
These are the top 5 programs that offer free tablets for veterans:
1. Wounded Warrior Project
This program offers free tablets to veterans with injuries or disabilities to aid in communication and give them access to other support networks.
2. Project HERO
This program gives free access to technology to eligible veterans by providing free tablets and computers through the HEROEStech program.
TroopTab is a non profit organization that provides free access to technology to veterans and active duty members of the military by offering them free tablets.
You can also get one for free from Assurance Wireless, so check out this article on Assurance Wireless EBB Tablet.
4. The Patriot Foundation
This is geared towards offering free technology services and access such as free tablets and computers to disabled veterans and their families.
5. Veterans Affairs (VA) Adaptive Technology Program
This is another program that offers free technology services to qualified disabled veterans by providing them with tablets and computers.
Go Technology also offers a free one, check out this article on Go Technology Free Tablet.
Eligibility Criteria to Receive Free Tablet for Veterans
The eligibility criteria and receive a free tablet for veterans may differ from one program to the other. There are however some general criteria, they are:
- You must be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Have proof of military service.
- Be a low income earner or have a certain financial need.
- Be a resident of the state offering Free Tablets to Veterans.
- Being a part of a relevant government program or initiative.
The following documents are required for free tablets for veterans:
- Proof of military service such as a Veterans Identity Card.
- Proof of income, such as a tax return.
- Proof of residency such as a utility bill.
- Proof of eligibility for VA benefits such as a VA Health Benefits Summary.
- Any other document that may be specified by the program such as a doctor’s prescription for a tablet.
If you want one from the government, check out this article on Free Sky Devices Government Tablet.
Application Process for Free Tablet for Veterans
Follow these steps to apply for a free tablet for veterans:
- Ensure that you are eligible for the program.
- Find an organization that offers the program and visit its official website.
- Fill out the application form provided with your personal details and other required information
- Attach the required documents to your application.
- Submit the application form with the required documents.
- Wait for a reply from the organization.
Top 5 Models Provided Under the Free Tablet Program for Veterans
Below are some models provided under the free tablet program for veterans:
1. Apple iPad
The Apple iPad is a tablet, developed by Apple Inc. It has a retina display which guarantees a flawless screen resolution; a multi touch display and a motion coprocessor.
It also had dual facing cameras and GPS services with long lasting battery and large storage capacity. Multiple models of the Apple iPad are available under the free tablet program for veterans.
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab
The Samsung Galaxy Tab has a high resolution screen and a capacitive multi-touchscreen, large memory capacity built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, GPS services, and long lasting battery.
It also has external memory card support to boost the memory capacity and dual core processor which guarantees fast processor speed.
Various models of the Samsung Galaxy Tab are available under the free tablet program for veterans.
Follow these steps to get the free Samsung galaxy tablet.
3. Amazon Fire Tablet
The Amazon Fire Tablet is a portable lightweight tablet. It has a 7 color screen with a high resolution and multi-touch response.
It has a fast dual-core processor which guarantees high processor speed. It also has built-in Wi-Fi feature with free cloud storage to boost the storage capacity.
The Amazon Fire Tablet has multiple models which are available under the free tablet program for veterans.
4. Lenovo Tab
The Lenovo Tab is a high function tab with a high screen resolution and a high processor speed.
It also has a high storage capacity with external memory support to boost memory capacity. It also has internal GPS tracking and face recognition features for device security.
5. Microsoft Surface Go
The Microsoft Surface Go is a 2-in-1 tablet and laptop device which has a high resolution with internal Wi-Fi components and a long lasting battery.
It has a high processor speed and a large storage capacity. It also has a face authentication camera and screen sensors.
The Microsoft Surface Go is available under the free tablet program for veterans.
Benefits of Using a Free Tablet for Veterans
These are the benefits of Using a Free Tablet for Veterans:
- Using a free tablet for veterans has the following benefits:
- It gives eligible veterans access to important healthcare information.
- It also allows them to communicate with their healthcare providers.
- Using a free tablet for veterans gives the user access to educational and entertaining resources to improve their physical and mental health.
- It helps eligible veterans remain connected with friends and family.
- It helps reduce the cost of in-person visits to healthcare providers and other services.
FAQs on Free Tablet for Veterans
These are the most frequently asked questions on Free Tablet for Veterans:
How can I apply for the free tablet as a veteran?
You can apply by visiting the official websites of organizations that offer free tablets to veterans and filling out the provided application form and attaching the necessary documents.
Is there a limit on how many free tablets a veteran can receive?
The limit on the number of tablets a veteran can receive depends on the organization offering the free tablets. There is no set limit applicable to all programs.
Can I upgrade or repair the free tablet for veterans if needed?
A repair or upgrade of the free tablet depends on the program provided. Hence, while some programs offer upgrades or repairs for free tablets, others do not.
The free tablets for veterans is a program that offers free technology services to veterans to help improve their overall well-being and value of life.
Eligible veterans need to seize this opportunity forthwith to enable them to benefit from the program.